Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Being Strong

What does it take to be a strong woman? I've been meditating and pondering on this question for about 6 weeks now, and I think my initial opinion has changed quite a bit.

First, I considered a strong woman as someone who is independent, educated, successful in the career she loves, and follows her dreams unconditionally. 

I was forming the posts on my head, when I started to wonder: why do I define being a "strong" woman so narrowly? There are so many different women, with different backgrounds, different dreams, different abilities, and different situations. Why would a stay-at-home-mom not be a strong woman, just because she wants to be home or the situation won't let her work for the time being? What role does education play in being strong? Many women all over the world raise their families or lead their lives with no or next to no education, and they are still the strongest women out there.

So what IS a strong woman?  It is a woman who takes over responsibility for her lives and the lives of those who are dependent on her. She is a partner to her husband of wife, not a subordinate. She accepts her situation and makes the best of it, works hard towards changing what she doesn't like and to preserves the good things in her lives. She loves unconditional, fights fiercely, forgives often but only sometimes forgets. She learns from her mistakes, and learns to laugh about them in hindsight. She focuses on the good, not the bad. And she never stops dreaming.


This post was written as part of the Strong & Influencial Sisterhood project.

8 comments:

  1. Can I love this a million times over?! Just so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your definition of a strong woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susannah! It was really an interesting journey, and I'm looking forward to more challenges of the project :-)

      Delete
  3. I have to agree with the majority and wish I could love this over and over, because you just said what makes a strong woman so beautifully and perfectly, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why I waited so long to read this...probably life, you know? (I know you know.)
    This is beautiful, Stephanie. Spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lisa!! The really funny thing is, that everything actually also applies to men. I wonder, why it's still so difficult for people to let everyone be happy in their own way. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, everything should be acceptable. Have a wonderful day!!

      Delete