Sunday, December 28, 2014

Week/Year In Review - Ten Things Of Thankful x 2 (80)


Ten Things of Thankful


Yes, I know, I'm quite late (48 minutes to spare here in Germany, to be exact), and on top of it, the headline is longer than usual, hinting at a few more thankfuls than usual.  First of all, I enjoyed the break from the computer over the holidays (if I didn't work, that is), but was so excited for all the last thankfuls if this wonderful year 2014. I can't believe it's been a year again. With all the excitement we had in our family this time last year (we found out for sure that Calvin was on his way on the 24th last year), it was very special "recapping" everything while having out little guy celebrate with us (or, more realistically, be very overwhelmed with the situation).

Today, I would like to share two separate lists of thankfuls. One focussing on the more general aspects of our lives, which are by no means taken for granted, even though they are not always regarded with the importance they actually have:

1. The people in my life. First and foremost my wonderful family, which even grew by one beautiful little boy this year. Secondly, my friends. I am so thankful for every single one of them.

2. Our home. Yes, we moved this year to our very own home. But that is not necessarily what I am thankful for (even though I absolutely am). I am incredibly thankful that our family has shelter, with all the amenities like power, running water, central heating, etc. that most people just take for granted without realizing that a large portion of this planet's population live without it, even people in our (developed) countries.

3. Food on our tables. With refugees dying of dehydration and people in Africa living through one drought after the next, food and water are definitely nothing to take for granted!

4. Health. One thing that we can only buy with money in a limited fashion. I am thankful for having access to healthcare when needed, but I am also thankful that our family is generally quite healthy.

5. Peace. This year, way too many people in this world did not get to enjoy peace. The (near) war in the Gaza strip, the uprising of the IS in Iraq and Syria that forced thousands to leave their homes and seek refuge in another country. I am thankful that our children can sleep in peace, unaffected by war and violence.

6. A job. More exactly: a job that sustains our family. Or in our case more than just sustains the family. I am painfully aware that a 40-hour a week job does oftentimes not allow a family to make ends meet any more nowadays.

7. Time. I didn't think I would enjoy being home as much as I do. I think the biggest part is that hubby is home, too, doing school. This maternity/parental leave is a unique opportunity for our family to spend so much quality time together.

8. Freedom. Even though I am writing a lot about our freedom as Atheists is frequently cut, at least we can speak openly about being an Atheist. We can choose not to attend any religious service without having to fear repercussions. I can speak my mind without having to fear prosecution.

9. Safety from natural disasters. I am incredibly thankful to be living in an area where the worst thing that generally happens is a much stronger-than-normal storm blow some shingles from our roofs or a huge rainstorm fills a few basements. After surviving a tornado in Kansas that completely destroyed a whole subdivision, I will never take this for granted again!

10. Love. Many people do not experience this. I am lucky enough to be surrounded by so much love every single day, and I am incredibly thankful for it!



On to the ten thankfuls for the week!

1. Snow!!!! Oh my goodness, snow!!!  And throwing snowballs at the girls!

2. A wonderful Yule celebration being spent with many friends visiting, too much good food eaten, and seeing the girls be so happy with the loot they got from Santa.

3. Slowly getting a handle on the chaos that ensued after the loot was discovered and opened.

4. Did I ever mention the dryer?

5. Calvin being a good sleeper!!!

6. Afternoon naps with the baby!

7. Little outings on the sled.

8. Hubby being the best and giving me my first few sets of D&D dice for a gift. I've only been playing for 6 years or so...

9. Traditions. Like spending New Years Eve once again with out friends!

10. A warm bed that I'm going to fall into in a minute.


I wish every one of you a few more fun days in 2014!

24 comments:

  1. Both number eights!!! My hubby has played as long as I have known him. If I didn't have the first number eight I would long ago been burned as a heretic as I can't hold my tongue for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I try to be as non-confrontational as possible, but I'm definitely no longer be willing to be quiet while others speak out at their leisure! Are you playing D&D as well?

      Delete
  2. :) I love this! Wishing you an amazing day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping that snow might make my list next weekend--it is in our California forecast! A dryer is definitely a good thing to help with all the soggy mittens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you did get the snow you wished for, Kristi! Ours is gone by now, hoping for more!

      Delete
  4. Last year we were building snowmen for the people who didn't have snow (YOU), and here you are playing in snow while we dodge raindrops. Glad your kids are sharing in the fun this year.

    Funny how it gets easier and easier to make these lists once you get in the habit. There really is so, so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I much appreciated the proxy-snowmen last year, Christine!! The girls didn't get to build a snowman - yet!! - because the snow was too powdery, but there was snow being thrown, the odd snow-angel on the ground, and several outings with the sled!

      Delete
  5. I read "afternoon naps with the baby" and my mind (and heart) went totally fuzzy. Oh, the sweet smell and velvet touch of a little cheek. That's worth your 10 right there! ~May@Achieving Clarity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, May! I love the naps with the baby; he's so sweet and cuddly, and his breathing alone is like meditation for me.

      I hope you had a great week!

      Delete
  6. Both of your lists are wonderful! The first ten are especially good to remember, not just at this time of year, but always. Happy New Year to you, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those things much more often since I'm doing the TToT every week, Lisa. They don't always make the list, because the list is usually somewhat a review of my week, but indeed I am incredibly thankful for them every single week! Wishing you and yours a very, very Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. YAY for your two lists. And yeah, I went fuzzy with the afternoon naps with the baby, too :)

    Have you and your husband come across Tenzii? I think you'd like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we haven't, but we're totally going to check it out!!

      Afternoon naps with the baby are great! He's such a sweet little guy!

      Delete
  8. Aww beautiful lists and also wishing you a few more fun days in 2014 right now, too!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janine! We ended 2014 with good friends, yummie food, and a baby who looked at the fireworks in amazement. Truly feel lucky!

      Delete
  9. Both lists are great. I can't believe 2014 is almost over, where did the time go?

    I LOVE SNOWWW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! No idea what happened! This holiday season I spent a lot of time remembering how it was the year before, when I had the first idea that there MIGHT be something, the hiding, the hoping, finding out on the 24th, telling our families.. It was an exciting year, and I hope for 2015 to be more quiet :-)

      Delete
  10. okay… I'll concede #1 but only in conjunction with #4 (one of the best of childhood memories includes coming in from playing in the snow and putting on clothes directly from the dryer! that is a good thing)
    primary list does speak to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, putting on warm clothes and having a cup of hot chocolate is wonderful! I love spending time with the kids outside, it's so much fun!

      I simply felt the need for list no. 1. So many heartbreaking things are happening these days, that the most basic things are becoming ever so more important!

      Delete
  11. Two fantastic lists, Stephanie! I always think about clean water when I turn on the faucet, as I have friends in Haiti who don't always have that luxury. And if you don't have tornadoes, I may have to move to Germany! Four more months to tornado season....
    Did you finally get your snow that you wanted? We have gotten a couple of skims of snow, but nothing much. I am always hoping for a good snow in January and February, but it has to be during the week so we miss school :)
    Give my Calvin a big snuggle for me! Hope you and your sweet family have a wonderful 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get snow, Dyanne!!!! It was too powdery for snowmen, but we had some outings with the sled. All gone now, I'm afraid :-(

      Yes, I'd totally love you moving here :-) We do get the odd tiny tornado that derails a standing, empty train or de-shingles the roof of a house, but that's it. Very, very thankful that Germany does not have any extreme weather!

      Cuddled Calvin a lot from you during the last weeks. He's such a spoiled little baby, and he deserves it!! Wishing you and yours a wonderful 2015 as well. May the year bring everything you hope and wish for!!

      Delete
  12. Yay you got the dryer! I completely understand your first list! We spent half of this past year living in temporary situations and not our own space. I'm grateful everyday that we wake up to our own place knowing that so many still don't have that. It makes me more grateful but sad at the same time for those who don't have shelter, etc. So glad you survived the disaster in Kansas! Couldn't even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so beyond scary, especially having our 4-months old baby sleeping peacefully in the bedroom, completely unaware of the danger. When we saw this big twister coming, I was just about to grab her and move to the bathtub in the inward-lying bathroom with her when during the next lightning we saw that it was gone. I will never forget that night in my life! I'm glad you have your own place again and are working on making it truly your own!

      Delete