Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Not An Artist??

I was talking to my very *special* co-worker about our side jobs a while ago. He's earning tons of money on the side as a piano player and a magician. I have just started earning some play money on the side in my first profession (and passion), translating.

For whatever reason, he has managed to secure a special exemption to be allowed to work more than the additional 10 hours a week that we're legally allowed to; he explained it that he was working as a free-lance artist, while I was only.. well what?


Is a sculpter not an artist because they are not creating anything new but re-shaping materials already present?

Is a musician not an artist because they are only re-playing notes that a composer has put to paper?

Is the writer who transcribes a book into a screenplay not an artist simply because it's not their original idea?

I think art has too many faces to discard one aspect for another. I enjoy my kind of art, my play with language and words; it fulfills me and makes me happy. I love hubby's art, his music, whether it's classical or rock; I love watching him perform, no matter if it's just for me or a full concert hall. I love looking at pictures, exploring scultures, watching movies, reading books, etc. And whether you feel like it or now, every single one of you is an artist, in whatever way.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Jen. This guy at work is just such a growing pain in the butt. The other day he asked me if I'll miss him when I'm on maternity leave. I told him no :-)

      Delete