Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sunday Social - It's Vacation Time

Sunday Social


Linking up once again with Ashley for Sunday Social. As I'm getting ready for a little family vacation in a few weeks, it's time to reflect on past trips, and dream about others in our future.

1. What is the best trip you've ever been to?
Back in 2005, just a couple of month before meeting Richard, I went on a 4-day trip to Istanbul with my best friend. I was about to start my last year of college, with an open future ahead of me (who could have known what would happen, right?) and thought a girls' trip like that would be awesome. Well, it was. We had a great time, exploring the city, finding little backstreet taverns, drinking the best vodka lemon ever.

Love this city! (Source)
2. What is your best idea for a girls' weekend trip?
A city trip, hands down! See number 1. Usually, 2 or 3 days are enough to explore the major sights of a city. If you like it, you can come back. If you feel like you've seen everything worth seeing, you can just move on to another city for the next trip.

3. What's your best idea for a couple's trip?
One day, the hubby and I will have the honeymoon we planned back in 2006: Rome. Back then, we couldn't go because a well-meaning lady in his unit decided it would be nice to send him to a 2-week class the day after our wedding, and afterward, Easter, my college finals, and Pentacost did not give us the opportunity to take the trip. Maybe it's in our cards for our 10-year anniversary in 2016.

I'll see this one day (Source)
4. What is the best vacation on the cheap?
Couch-surfing. You can go explore cities, staying with people who offer a couch or sometimes even a guest bedroom. Check out if museums have a free entrance day or focus on sights that are free to visit (perfect if in Washington DC, for example).

5. What is the place you most want to visit?
Rome and Cuba. One with the hubby, the other one with my best friend. And one day, both will happen!

Can't wait to walk those streets with my best friend (Source)

10 comments:

  1. Wow Istanbul?! What an amazing place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! You should go there, Jen, once things have settled down there again.

      Delete
  2. YES to couchsurfing! My friends all have had amazing experiences and met awesome people through it.

    Michelle @ Mishfish13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend told me about it, he's done it a lot. If I was single, I'm sure that's the only way I'd travel!

      Delete
  3. I do to much couch surfing lol but it is cheap. Stopping by from the sunday social

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, Melissa! I've never couch-surfed, at least not in the meaning of sleeping on someone's couch even though I don't know them. If I was 18, I'd totally be for it, even if it was just to totally freak out my mom ;-)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you've vacationed/traveled a lot more than I. I'm pertty stationary unfortunately.

    Rome would be a sweet place to visit.

    I've met someone who couch-surfs. I was fascinated (and scared) by the prospect, but most sites (or is there only 1-2 major ones?) require people to have vouching and a handful of safety measures taken to be listed as people able to house another couch-surfing. Have you ever done this? If so, what's it like?

    I hope you get your Honeymoon in! Sooner than later!

    Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky enough that my parents took me to many places when I was a kid. As an adult, I have not travelled too much any more, at least not for fun.

      I've never couch-surfed, but I have a friend who did it a lot and loved it. If I was younger and just myself, that would be a great way to travel. Nothing better than staying with someone, who's local and knows the best places.

      Delete
  5. One of the many things I love about your posts is the European influence. My experiences are limited largely to the U.S., with just one trip abroad to the UK, so when I think of answers to those questions, mine aren't nearly as interesting as yours. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Melissa! Weird thing, I was just thinking about that today. If I think about a tortilla, I'm thinking the Spanish version, whereas most people think about the Mexican tortilla, which are two completely different things! Europe definitely is a whole different influence, I just love it's diversity in such close proximity, the language, the national identity, etc.

      Delete